Best Sony cameras on 2020
In recent years, Sony cameras have become a reference in the sector. In fact, it is now the second best-selling brand, surpassing Nikon. Its catalog has been modified in recent years, so it is important to understand its history well, even if it is relatively short.
As we say, Sony is a relatively new brand for photographers. Their first models were the Cyber-shot in 1996, which you have surely seen due to the success they had. The turning point for Sony was when they bought Konica-Minolta’s photography division in 2006. As a result, they focused on the development of SLR cameras.
Join our next Iceland Photo Tour
From that moment, Sony began to innovate, creating new memory cards. The alliance with Zeiss objectives was another moment for the brand and a leap in quality.
Although the real leap came with the launch of the Sony α7. A mirrorless camera that included a full-frame sensor and that helped them become a benchmark. Today, Sony is arguably the world leader in mirrorless cameras.
Sony’s other strong point is in high-end compact cameras. Its RX100 series is one of the best sellers in the category. Currently, Sony has cameras of all categories and as we say it has become one of the benchmarks
Cheap Sony Cameras Deals
Sony Alpha 6100
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 51 200
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting at 24 2MP RAW w/ AF/AE tracking
- Real-time AF Tracking Real-time Eye AF for human and animal
- 20x Optical/40x Clear Image Zoom G Lens
- Keep your subject in focus with Lock-On AF
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/ NFC3
- Motion Shot Video traces subject movement
- 4K quality still image output via HDMI2
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H300
- 50x optical zoom plus 100x Clear Image
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization with 3-way active mode
- 20.4MP images and high speed AF even in low-light
What Sony cameras offer
As we explained, like Canon, you can find Sony cameras of all styles. From compact to reflex, through APS-C and of course the mirrorless. While it is true that Sony’s strong suit is full-frame mirrorless cameras. In fact, they haven’t launched new SLR models in a while.
Another of the brand’s strengths is still compact, where you can find more than 50 different models. From the RX series to the latest ZV range.
Learn more in our next Japan Photography Tour
Talking about lenses, Sony also offers excellent quality. You should pay special attention to the mount of your camera that is divided into 3 groups:
- E-mount cameras: On full-frame or APS-C sensor mirrorless cameras.
- A-mount cameras: SLR only.
At Sony, you can continue to find from the first alpha 7 (α7) to the latest model. Just as other brands update their models and forget about the old ones. Sony continues to keep all operating models, with the benefit that this entails for future repairs or to acquire a new camera even if it does not have the latest technology incorporated.
Best Sony Cameras by Category of 2020
Sony Alpha 7 III
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount lenses. Can be connected via Bluetooth with smartphones featuring (as of the date of release)- Android (Android 5.0 or later, Bluetooth 4.0 or later), iOS (Bluetooth 4.0 or later)
- Up to 10fps silent or mechanical shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery life (Still Images): Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), battery life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
Sony Cyber‑Shot RX10 IV
- World’s Fastest AF acquisition speed of 0.03 sec. Optical image stabilisation technology developed by Sony is valuable for handheld still and movie shooting, especially in low light or at the ultra-telephoto end of the zoom range up to 600 mm
- 315 phase-detection AF points covering Approx. 65% of the frame. Light Metering Mode- Multi Pattern, Centre Weighted, Spot (Standard/Large), Entire Screen Avg, Highlight
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 24-600mm3 f.2.4-F4 ultra-zoom Lens
- 20.1MP 1″ back Illuminated Exmor RS stacked CMOS sensor w/ DRAM. Dimensions (W x H x D) (CIPA)-5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 3/4 inches, 5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 1/8 inches (from front of lens to monitor). Weight-2 pounds 6.7 ounce(Battery and SDXC Card included)/ Approx. 2 pounds 5.1 ounce) (Body Only)
- 24 Fps4 continuous shooting up to 249 Frames5 with AF/AE tracking.Filter Diameter:62 mm.Diopter Adjustment:-4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Fast Hybrid AF, Real Time Eye-AF3 and Real-time AF tracking
- Quickly switch between two modes of defocused background bokeh
- Product showcase setting transitions focus from face to object
- Face priority AE keeps faces bright in backlit or dim condition
Sony Lens Range
As we mentioned, Sony offers a wide range of quality lenses. The difficult thing here will be to understand the acronyms. We have already talked about the E and A mounts, where the E are for mirrorless cameras and the A for mirrorless cameras. In addition, it should be borne in mind that they are only compatible with SLRs of the same brand or with adapters.
- DT: APS-C DSLRs with a 1.5x crop factor.
- E: For mirrorless cameras (APS-C crop).
- FE: For mirrorless cameras (Full-Frame).
We will also find other acronyms that will indicate the technical and quality functions of the lens.
G: Professional range.
GM: Professional range par excellence.
LE: Compact and lightweight.
OSS: With built-in image stabilizer (Optical Steady Shot).
PZ: Zoom motor (Power Zoom).
SAM: A focus motor built into the lens (Smooth Autofocus Motor)
SSM: Faster and quieter focusing motor (Super-Sonic Motor).
** T ***: Includes a multi-layer coating to reduce reflections.
ZA: Zeiss code for Sony mounts.
As you can see, it is important to understand the nomenclature well before choosing a lens for your Sony. Plus, you can always use A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras with an adapter. It’s bulky, but it will allow you to stick to your goals if you decide to take the leap.
Learn the best techniques during our Spain Photography Workshops
Buy on Sale the best Sony Lenses of 2020
Sony – FE 12-24mm F4 G Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
- G Lens design for corner-to-corner high resolution
- Maximum magnification ratio (x) :0.14.Premium Optics; 4 aspherical, 1 Super ED, 3 ED glass elements
- Constant F4 max aperture maintains exposure and Depth of field
- 7-blade circular aperture contributes to beautiful bokeh
- Direct Drive Supersonic Wave motor for fast, quiet, precise focus
Sony FE 24-70 mm F2.8
- SONY EMOUNT LENS: 35mm full frame format, instant auto / manual focus selection, focus hold button. The minimum focus distance is 0.38 meters
- NATURAL, LIFELIKE IMAGERY: ED and Super ED glass elements deliver breathtaking texture and detail
- REDUCED ABERRATION: Two aspherical elements and an extremely precise XA element maximize resolution
- 9 BLADE APERTURE: SEL2470GM lenses have a 9 blade circular aperture for a gorgeous book effect
- NANO AR COATING: Allows for accurate light transmission to improve clarity, contrast and quality
- SPECS: Aperture range f/2.8 to f/22, min focus distance 1.24 feet , max magnification ratio 0.24 x
- MORE SPECS: Angle of view 84-34 deg. (APS-C 61-23 deg.), 35 mm equivalent focal length 36-105 mm
Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
- Outstanding g lens resolution throughout the Zoom range
- 5x ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements Reduces flare & ghosting
- Direct drive Supersonic Wave Motor for fast, quiet, precise focus
- Aspherical lens element dramatically reduces spherical aberration
- Nano AR coating suppresses Reflections, flare and ghosting